_The Lamanite: Their Burden, Our Burden (MP3), by Spencer W. Kimball_ Lamanite Prophecies Fulfilled (MP3), by Spencer W. Kimball * The Lamanite (MP3), by Spencer W. Kimball
|Contents _1 Cursed with black skin_ 2 Lamanite Placement Program _3 1971 Lamanite youth conference 4 Quotes 5 Notes_ 6 External links 6.1 Non-Mormon 6.2 Mormon|
Cursed with black skin
Lamanite Placement Program
"I saw a striking contrast in the progress of the Indian people today as against that of only fifteen years ago. Truly the scales of darkness are falling from their eyes, and they are fast becoming a white and delightsome people....The day of the Lamanites is nigh. For years they have been growing delightsome, and they are now becoming white and delightsome, as they were promised. In this picture of the twenty Lamanite missionaries, fifteen of the twenty were as light as Anglos;...The children in the home placement program in Utah are often lighter than their brothers and sisters in the hogans on the reservation.At one meeting a father and mother and their sixteen-year-old daughter were present, the little member girl...was several shades lighter than her parents...There was the doctor in a Utah city who for two years had had an Indian boy in his home who stated that he was some shades lighter than the younger brother just coming into the program from the reservation. These young members of the Church are changing to whiteness and to delightsomeness. One white elder jokingly said that he and his companion were donating blood regularly to the hospital in the hope that the process might be accelerated.The day of the Lamanites has come....today the dark clouds are dissipating." (Spencer W. Kimball, Improvement Era, December 1960. pages 922-23)
1971 Lamanite youth conference
Apostle Spencer W. Kimball spoke in Salt Lake City at what was called the Lamanite Youth Conference on April 24, 1971. Speaking to the Native Americans present:
"You are of royal blood, the children of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, Joseph, and Lehi.""With pride I tell those who come to my office that a Lamanite is a descendant of one Lehi who left Jerusalem six hundred years before Christ and with his family crossed the mighty deep and landed in America. And Lehi and his family became the ancestors of all of the Indian and Mestizo tribes in North and South and Central America and in the islands of the sea, for in the middle of their history there were those who left America in ships of their making and went to the islands of the sea."
The talk was adapted into a July 1971 Ensign article, "Of Royal Blood".
Peter MacDonald, chairman of the Navajo Tribal Council, was one of the speakers.
- "First missionaries called to preach to the Lamanites (Native Americans) (see D&C 28, 30, 32)." 
- "The term Lamanite includes all Indians and Indian mixtures, such as the Polynesians, the Guatemalans, the Peruvians, as well as the Sioux, the Apache, the Mohawk, the Navajo, and others. It is a large group of great people." (Spencer W. Kimball, "Of Royal Blood," Ensign, July 1971, p. 7).
- "To the Red Men of America I will next address a few lines. You are a branch of the house of Israel. You are descended from the Jews, or, rather, more generally, from the tribe of Joseph, which Joseph was a great prophet and ruler in Egypt." ( The Essential Parley P. Pratt, Ch.14, p.158)
- ↑ Lane Johnson, "Who and Where Are the Lamanites?" Ensign, Dec. 1975, p. 15
- Lamanite (Wikipedia) - Note: articles related to Mormonism on Wikipedia are generally dominated by Mormon authors
- Saints and Indians, by Kate Davidson - See transcript here
- George P. Lee: Indian Placement, Hierarchy and Heretics (Watchman Fellowship)
- Who Are The Lamanites? (PDF), by Kevin Mathie - HTML version: Part 1, Part 2, Part 3, Part 4
- Lamanites (The Mormon Curtain)
- Lamanites No More: DNA and Lost Ties to Father Lehi (Institute for Religious Research)
- See the "special" Lamanite Section in this Ensign issue
- Mingled Destinies: The Lamanites and the Latter-day Saints, by Dean L. Larsen - Ensign, Dec. 1975, p. 8
- Who and Where Are the Lamanites?, by Lane Johnson - Ensign, Dec. 1975, p. 15
- Of Royal Blood, by Spencer W. Kimball, “Of Royal Blood,” Ensign, July 1971, 7
- Miracles among the Lamanites, by Gene R. Cook - Ensign, Nov. 1980, 67
- The Lamanites Must Rise in Majesty and Power, by J. Thomas Fyans, “The Lamanites Must Rise in Majesty and Power,” Ensign, May 1976, 12
- What Is a Lamanite?, by Harold Brown, "What Is a Lamanite?," Ensign, Sept. 1972, 62
- Lamanites and the Church, by M. Dallas Burnett, "Lamanites and the Church," Ensign, July 1971, 11
- Church Growth and Lamanite Involvement, by Spencer W. Kimball
- Where have all the Lamanites gone?